Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Will FEMA or State Grants Affect My Social Security or Other Benefits?

From the FEMA website:

In most cases, the Social Security Administration does not count federal or state disaster aid as income.

Here are answers to the most common questions:

Question: If I earn more than a certain amount each year, I must repay $1 of my Social Security payment for every $2 earned. Will FEMA grants add to my income and require me to repay Social Security?

Answer: No. FEMA grants for housing and Other Needs Assistance (ONA) are not counted as income.

Question: Will receiving a grant result in my income being increased so that I am no longer eligible for Medicaid, welfare assistance, food stamps or Aid to Families with Dependent Children?

Answer: No. Grants for housing and ONA are not counted as income in determining eligibility for any income-based benefit programs funded by the U.S. government.

No comments:

Post a Comment